Monday, March 5, 2012

How to Write a Persuasive Essay

     For my project proposal I am supposed to do a literature review in the form of a persuasive essay and I have been struggling with that, so for this learning journal I decided to read up on how to write persuasively. With a persuasive essay, the writer is trying to convince the reader to reach the same conclusion as the writer did...this means the basis for the conclusion has to be considered. Translation - I am trying to show why my project is important, legitimate, or necessary, so I have to go through the reasons why I think it is those things. Things to look at: assumptions, don't assume the audience agrees with you, play devil's advocate with myself, support all conclusions with evidence, especially outside evidence - don't just use personal experience. That won't be hard for my paper, all of it is from outside articles.

     Organization is often a problem with persuasive essays - I think that is where mine went especially wrong. So, I need to make sure I have: thesis, introduction, conclusions, transitions between paragraphs. In the introduction make sure to state why the issue is an issue - why is it important for me to be studying the relationship between keeper and animal? Clearly state position on issue. Clearly state reasons supporting your position - use topic sentences with because clauses, shows the reader that you are connecting back to the thesis and making an argument. So some topic sentences for me would be "The relationship between animals and keepers is important because it can affect animal welfare." Then I would have a paragraph looking at how it affects animal welfare. The conclusion should summarize the opposition's views, relate issue to larger issue...in the conclusion is where moral or emotional appeals can be made. So with those things in mind, I am going to go back through and come up with a better, more logical outline and try the literature review again!

Source:
http://www1.english.montana.edu/~engweb/wc/Information/PersuasiveWriting.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment