Saturday, February 4, 2012

Body Language

          Whenever I hear "body language" I think of the Queen song. Anyway, Friday's class we talked about nonverbal communication and cues. This includes body language: what your posture, facial expression, hand motions, walk etc. are saying about what you are thinking or feeling. It is amazing how much we do convey with body language. I don't like talking on the phone very much, and I think one of the reasons for that is because I rely on body language to clarify what someone is saying. Same goes with any kind of communication where facial expressions or tone cannot be determined. Ashley mentioned that we need to be careful out in the field about what our body language is saying, because of the whole one symbol, multiple meanings thing. I don't think that I am always very aware of what my body language is showing. Or my body language is not accurate to my actual feelings....crossing your arms is often said to be a sign of being tense or insecure. I cross my arms a lot, but mostly because it is just more comfortable. Anyway, I want to try and be more aware of my body language and what it is saying.

         I went to this retreat once in high school and was put in a group with some people I did not know very well. We did a lot of different activites and got to know each other much better. One of the boys in my group told me that he had thought I was sort of stand-offish, or stuck-up, but after getting to know me he realized I was not that way at all. I think when people are shy or even just quiet it might make them seem aloof or uptight. I've thought about that experience several times, and how I can seem more friendly. This is definitely going to come into play on a field study. I am going to be trying to work closely with people and I want them to know that I am friendly and also trust-worthy. How can I use my body language or other nonverbal communication cues to help show them that? For the rest of the semester, I am going to work on what my body language might be saying about me and the accuracy of what it might be saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment